The space in which the museum’s New Staircase stands was once the foyer of the Reggio Teatro degli Intrepidi, also known as the “Tennis Court Theater” or “New Theater”, built in 1778-1779 with the authorisation of Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo Hapsburg-Lorraine on a site formerly occupied by Opera del Duomo workshops, warehouses and courtyards.
Planned by Giovanni Battista Ruggieri with the help of Giulio Mannaioni, the Theater had five tiers of boxes with sumptuous decorations in gilded stucco on a white field and frescoes by Giacinto and Domenico Fabbroni; the ceiling above the New Staircase is the only part of the 18th-century structure still visible. Renovated in the years 1839-1840, from 1870 on the Teatro degli Intrepidi gradually declined and in 1914 became an industrial warehouse. At that time the orchestra area and stage were dismantled and the carved and painted decoration was lost.
The ticket allows the holder to visit all the monuments within 72 hours of visiting the first one. Each monument may be visited only once with the ticket.
Reservations mandatory for the climb on the Dome. The service is free.