Among other treasures, this room contains an altar front and a monumental cross of pure silver, restored between 2006-2012, with a combined weight of 250 kilograms in the metal parts alone. Commissioned by the Arte di Calimala – the cloth merchants’ guild – and realised beginning in 1367 by artists spanning several generations, these intricate assemblages of thousands of components were at the center of the principal religious celebration of the Florentine Republic, the Feast of the city’s patron saint, John the Baptist, on June 24, when altar and cross were installed in the church dedicated to Saint John, the Baptistery.
The ticket allows the holder to visit all the monuments within 72 hours of visiting the first one. Each monument may be visited only once with the ticket.
Reservations mandatory for the climb on the Dome. The service is free.