КУПОЛ

Consisting of two interconnected ogival shells, the cathedral's octagonal dome was erected between 1418 and 1434 to a design which Filippo Brunelleschi entered in a competition in 1418 but which was only accepted, after much controversy, in 1420.

A masterpiece capable of withstanding lightning, earthquakes and the passage of time, it continues to enchant all those who observe it from afar. The dome has a diameter of 45.5 metres.

The competition that the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore ran in 1418 was won by Brunelleschi, but work did not get under way until two years later and was not completed until 1434.

The cathedral of Florence was consecrated by Pope Eugene IV on 25 March 1436.

Brunelleschi's astonishingly innovative approach involved vaulting the dome space without any scaffolding by using a double shell with a space in between. The inner shell (with a thickness of more than two metres) is made of light bricks set in a herringbone pattern and is the self-supporting structural element while the outer dome simply serves as a heavier, wind-resistant covering. The dome is crowned by a lantern with a conical roof, designed by Brunelleschi but only built after his death in 1446, while the gilt copper sphere and cross on top of the lantern, containing holy relics, was designed by Andrea del Verrocchio and installed in 1466.

The inner shell of the dome was frescoed by Giorgio Vasari and Federico Zuccari from 1572 to 1579, the subject matter chosen, namely the Last Judgement, reflecting the iconography adopted in the baptistry. The frescoes on the inner shell of the dome were the object of a thorough restoration between 1978 and 1994.

Orario di apertura

The times of access to the monuments are subject to changes in time due to extraordinary events.


The climb to the dome may be restricted in time due to the excessive tourist flow.

ИНФОРМАЦИЯ
  • Доступ разрешендо сорокаминут до закрытия
  • Bходиз воротсобора миндаля (cеверная сторона)
  • Подъемходьба463шагов
  • Лифт не представляет
  • Подъем не рекомендуется для людей страдающих от сердца, головокружение иклаустрофобия

Organizza la visita
Organize visit
Biglietto online
Accedi con un unico biglietto a tutti i monumenti
Ticket

Билет должен быть использован до полуночи шестого дня со дня покупки. Доступ к памятникам разрешается в течение 24 часов с момента первого посещения. C одним билетoм дважды один и тот же памятник посещать не разрешается.